Wednesday, December 29, 2010

It's almost time, isn't it?

When my two boys were young, they really loved the soundtrack from Maurice Sendak's "I'm Really Rosie". I can't tell you how many times we sang this song:



It's also quite a nice calendar for the year, isn't it? The year of Chicken Soup, that is.

Just how do you make Chicken Soup with Rice?

Follow these directions, as I've just made a pot today!

Two skinless chicken breasts (or any couple of chicken parts)
Half a large onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, washed and sliced
A generous sprinkle of crushed red pepper
A generous sprinkle of dried minced garlic
Several bay leaves

NOTE: I've used no salt, as the skinless chicken breasts I buy have quite enough. If you're using chicken parts (backs, etc.) you might want to add a teaspoon or two of Sea Salt.

(I like to use my serrated slicer for the carrots--it's easier on my arthritic hands and makes a prettier presentation!).

Add filtered water to cover

Bring to a boil, then cover...

..and simmer for about 2 hours...

...stirring occasionally.

Add a half cup (or so) of rice.

(I've used Arborio here, but you can use long grain white, or even brown rice--which will require a bit longer to cook).

Let this simmer for at least another 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.

Now--how difficult was that, huh?

And soooo much better (and cheaper) for you than 'Campbell's'!