Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Though you may know me as a photographer...

...I spent a great amount of time in my art career as a Holiday Designer.

Matter of fact, here in Chicago, I spent five seasons as the Holiday Designer at Century Shopping Centre at Diversey and Clark.

All that changed in late July of 2006, when I experienced the devastating effects of a pulmonary embolism, and it was found that I am disabled due to osteoarthritis, and the depletion of minerals in my bones (I've taken natural vitamins and minerals and herbs for almost 40 years--but there seems to be no effect!).

Nonetheless, I love holiday decorating, and though my this year, because there is enough time for my no-longer-so-nimble hands and fingers, I hope the Lake Shore Rehabilitation Center across the street from me, here in Rogers Park, will accept these donations to patients who may not be as fortunate as I.

But, first, I had to make a wreath for little 4 year old Madi, the daughter of a dear friend.

Then, I began to think I have to start using up all the Christmas ribbon and decor I've amassed over the past ten years here in Chicago. I began creating...

...this...

...and this...

...and this.

There are still more to come, as I went out today and purchased more small wreaths, ornaments, and extra ribbon.

Hopefully, if they're accepted, these will bring a smile (and perhaps some nice memories?) to some of the elderly at Lake Shore.