Sunday, June 20, 2010

"We're on a mission from God"

Mission accomplished: Vatican blesses Blues Brothers

Elwood and Jake Blues

They really were "on a mission from God."

In a stunning move by the Vatican, the classic Dan Aykroyd-John Belushi comedy film "The Blues Brothers" was declared a "Catholic classic" alongside more pious films such as "The Ten Commandments" and "The Passion of the Christ."

The announcement was made in the Vatican's official newspaper L'Osservatore Romano, corresponding with 30th anniversary of the release of the film.

"As a former altar boy from age 6 . . . but a somewhat lapsed Catholic, I was delighted with the endorsement," Aykroyd said in a message to The Post yesterday.

"My local monsignor will immediately be receiving a check for parish needs."

L'Osservatore editor Gian Maria Vian praised the flick for its plot, in which Jake Blues (Belushi) and his brother Elwood (Aykroyd) battle cops, neo-Nazis and crazed country fans in a bid to save the Catholic orphanage where they were raised.

"For them, this Catholic institution is their only family," Vian wrote. "And they decide to save it at any cost." L'Osservatore's editorial lavishes praise on the 1980 comic romp, in which Aykroyd and Belushi say that they're "on a mission from God."

The writers call it "incredibly shrewd" noting that in one scene a picture of Pope John Paul II could clearly be seen.

*********

When I received a phone call from the Business Agent of IATSE Local 18 (Milwaukee) back in 1979, I was working at the Melody Top Theatre as Stage Designer, and also in the process of moving. It took one hour to decide that, yes, I would be in Chicago, at 929 W. Adams Street, at 7:00 AM the following morning.

For two or three weeks of work.

At union rate of $125.00 per day.

The director of the Melody Top was thrilled that I had gotten this opportunity, and even sent me a full week's paycheck, though I had left mid-week.

I arrived here in Chicago, wearing two-day-old clothes, shortly after 5:30 AM. I went to the cafeteria in the old Greyhound station on Randolph Street, had some food, and took all my gear (a lot!) and piled into a cab.

"9-2-9 West Adams", I told the driver.

I had no idea where I was going, but I knew what I had to do.

I found out. I was "On a Mission from God".

The 'two or three weeks' turned into three months. I was given a raise my second day, because my L.A. boss deemed me worthy of the title 'Stand-by Sign Writer'.

I received NO credit in the film, though what my brain and hands did are peppered throughout.

In 1979, I made almost $18,000 in 87 days.

They were crazy days, to be sure.

The first time I was sent 'shopping' for Paint Department supplies, my boss (Gary O) gave me $500. I came back with $200 plus change, and was reamed out for not spending enough, and for not spending it all.

He told me I was like his wife, always trying to save money.

I learned, after that.

I was there, in Daley Plaza, climbing the tanks and military vehicles. I had stencils, and sprayed stars and ID numbers at their owners' requests. I was also 'running on empty', ill but charged up anyway.

I was told I could see the 'company nurse' (Universal Studios being the company), and get a vitamin B12 shot. That would help, I was told.

I took the shot in my arm, not my butt. The 'company nurse' called himself "Michelle". I was then offered a brown vial filled with a certain white powder, which "Michelle" said would help me.

I refused.

My last day was October 27, 1979. Almost 31 years ago.

A great time. I would not have traded it for the world.

But now, the Vatican calls this a "Catholic" film?

You should have been there when the Chicago cops were getting 'blow jobs for 5 bucks' on Morgan Street!