Monday, April 19, 2010

Tonight's marvelous dinner-in-a-bowl!

Yesterday, I plopped two nice-sized chicken breasts into a pot of filtered water, adding six garlic gloves, a small chopped onion, and a good dash of crushed red pepper. I let that begin to boil, then turn down the gas to let it simmer. When the chicken is tender, it's done, and the end result is a wonderfully flavored broth.

Tonight, I removed the chicken breast (only one left!), and placed 1/4 bag of 'saifun' into the cold broth. (Saifun are mung bean noodles, relatively inexpensive and better than ramen noodles). I also added a cup and a half of frozen broccoli, four sliced Crimini mushrooms and one small chopped fire-roasted red pepper.

Note: The saifun must sit in cold water or broth for about ten minutes before cooking, in order to soften.

Next, I brought it all to a boil, then let it simmer for about 10 minutes after adding the chicken breast.

No added salt (I'm sure there's enough on the frozen chicken breasts); relatively low in calories; some healthy green veggies, and WOW, it photographed well, too!

What a great tasty dinner I had!