Friday, February 12, 2010

Oh, the times, they are a-changin'

Kennedy: ‘I will not be a candidate for reelection’

Photo credit: Wikipedia

It's really too bad his dad didn't make this statement years and years ago.The Kennedy mystique ended when Jacqueline and John, Jr. died in the 90s.

When I was thirteen, JFK came to town, and our class, at the Catholic grade school I attended, walked the several blocks to the local library where he was campaigning. (I wonder how many teachers take their students, today, to a campaign rally, and explain the politics of it all, as my teacher did?).

I got up close, and actually received a handshake and an autograph.

I was thrilled, and so were my parents--by then, staunch Democrats and very involved in politics in the city of my birth, Milwaukee WI.

All of America was thrilled with the Kennedys back then.

Then, JFK was assassinated. I remember the day, the time, when the announcement filtered through the speaker from the school office. I was a senior in a high school English class.

We all gasped, then began, one by one, to cry. You see, many of my classmates were at the same campaign rally, and also received handshakes and autographs from the future president.

Four and a half years later, RFK was assassinated, while campaigning for the presidency in California.

Then came Chappaquiddick, and Mary Jo.

In May of '94, Jacqueline died, just 19 days before my own father's passing. And in '97, John Jr.

The Kennedy mystique was left to Caroline and her surviving relatives, including Uncle Teddy, who died in August of 2009. And Caroline has shown she did not inherit the charisma of either her father or her mother, who were self-made legends in their travels upon this Earth.

The children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Joe and Rose have not fared well, have they?

And Patrick seems to understand that, or--he's just a complete goof, and might need to spend more 'time on the couch'.